A step by step policy for determining if the company is included in COPPA вЂ” and how to comply with the Rule.
When it comes to the number of information that is personal from kiddies under 13, the ChildrenвЂ™s on line Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) puts moms and dads in control. The Federal Trade Commission, the nationвЂ™s consumer protection agency, enforces the COPPA Rule, which spells away what operators of websites and online solutions need to do to guard childrenвЂ™s privacy and security on line. For instance, when your business is covered by COPPA, you need to have information that is certain your privacy and acquire parental consent before collecting some types of information from kids under 13.
Effective 1, 2013, the FTC updated the COPPA Rule to reflect changes in technology july. Violations can lead to police force actions, including penalties that are civil so compliance counts.
HereвЂ™s a step-by-step arrange for determining in the event your company is covered by COPPA вЂ” and what you should do to comply with the Rule.
Table of Contents
- Step one Determine in the event your Company is really a web site or on the web Service that Collects Personal Ideas from children Under 13.
- Step three Notify Parents Directly Before Collecting Personal Suggestions from Their Youngsters.
- Step four Get ParentsвЂ™ Verifiable Consent Before Collecting Personal Information from Their Children.
- Step 5 Honor ParentsвЂ™ Ongoing Rights with Respect to Personal Suggestions Collected from Their Kids.
- Action 6 Implement procedures that are reasonable Protect the safety of KidsвЂ™ information that is personal.
- Chart Restricted Exceptions to COPPAвЂ™s Verifiable Parental Consent Requirement